Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 23:13:02 +0000
From: John Hall <JohnH@...tworking.com>
To: "'john-users@...ts.openwall.com'" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: john and muti-core settings and progress display

When using john with the jumbo patch and enabling multi-core on a Fedora 17 OS on vmWare VMworkstation with 2 cores enabled per below, I noticed that pressing "any key" when john is grinding away produces a different progress display that I saw with single core.

With single core I saw something like "...trying: Initialguessabc123"

With multicore I saw something like "...trying Initialguessabc123 - Initialguessxyz456"

So is john actually running 2 threads and each separately is attempting to discover the hash code? If so, presume that somehow there is no duplication of effort.

Could someone please comment on how to interpret the two passwords being tried and how the multi-core (or multi-cpu) system works.

John H.