Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 08:16:23 +0100
From: hm0@....net
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GPU based cracking, AMD or NVIDIA

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying john (and maybe some other progs) on GPU. I wonder if better go for gtx 660 or AMD 7870 (well I dont want to spend $300-400+ for a card...).

I tried to find out if amd or nvidia is in general better (faster / maybe openCL vs CUDA?) and/or better supported (maybe again opencl vs cuda?) for gpu based cracking (eg hash, aes, wpa ...).
I only found some rather old benchmarks.

btw: does gpu based cracking benefit from more RAM on the gfx card?

Any hints?

Thanks a lot.
hm0