Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:02:21 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [kerberos] active etype downgrade attack (MitM)

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 4:21 AM, buawig <buawig@...il.com> wrote:
>>> I am thinking of working on the pcap parser and MiTM downgrade
>>> attack first. I think leaving the OpenCL port to an expert (you!)
>>> is best.
>>
>> I can now do MiTM etype downgrade attack against latest MIT
>> Kerberos successfully. I couldn't find any other software which
>> does this, so I extended Ettercap to do so.
>
> Nice to hear that! Do you plan to submit it for upstream inclusion?

Yes. Once the code is cleaned-up a bit.

> When it comes to etype downgrade attacks I would be interested on how
> fast cracking speed gets with the weakest etypes like 1 (des-cbc-crc)
> or 3 (des-cbc-md5) in terms of c/s rates.
> http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/11/18/14

Modern Kerberos clients and servers don't allow etypes using DES. I
have also read that modern M$ AD servers don't support RC4-HMAC by
default.

> Did you do also some tests with salt manipulation?

This is on my list. It might not be trivial to change the number of
iterations though due to all the encoding involved.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru