Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 15:45:21 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cracking passwords with a kerberos traffic dump /
 aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96 (18) [MS]

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

>>> Ok, this makes it clear why I was not be able to crack it. So the
>>> outcome will be a MS specific john format (mskrb5-18).
>>
>> I don't think that it is necessary to modify krb-ng_fmt_plug.c to
>> support M$ AD specifically as M$ AD follows RFC.
>
> Does the RFC specify how to encode the password? Is the known plaintext string included in the RFC?

RFC doesn't mention UTF anywhere it seems . Test vectors are included
in https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3962.txt

However [MS-KILE.PDF] document mentions usage of UTF8 to derive AES
key. I don't know why and when this method is used.

> This is good news but it emphasizes the need for a pcap file showing authentication with a non-ascii password. The only thing I can imagine is that Micro$oft has finally gone clever (wait... can I really imagine that?) and started using UTF-8.

I can test a non-ascii with my AD setup (if I am able to figure out
how to use non-ascii passwords).

--
Cheers,
Dhiru