Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 23:24:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Noob: trying to recover own gpg/pgp passphrase with limited set of characters

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 08:21:52PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 04:38 AM, sngh wrote:
> >Loaded 1 password hash (OpenPGP / GnuPG Secret Key [32/64])
> >Warning: only 44 characters available
>
> This warning is a bit strange. I don't know what it means and how does
> it impact cracking.

It means that the .chr file contains info on 44 different characters,
but the .conf file section has CharCount specifying a number greater
than 44.  This does not impact cracking in any other/unexpected way - it
only tells us that only 44 different characters are being used as per
the .chr file.  If the CharCount line is removed, the warning will go
away.  (Getting this warning printed is one of the two purposes of the
CharCount setting.)

Alexander