Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 12:01:01 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com, Blaine Nagorski <addude66@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: Can't get simple john.conf rules right

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Blaine Nagorski <addude66@...oo.com> wrote:
> John appears to toggle case but I've lost the zero substitution.
There is no substitution going on in the toggle lines, I think your
expecting "Q" to transfer/memorize to the next set of rules? And I
don't believe that is how it works.
> The problem in a nutshell: How to I modify john.conf so that a password of SlyF0x is cracked based on using -rules, on a wordfile that contains only the word slyfox.
so0 would fit the bill as you said, but to have it toggle case you'd
add it to the end of the toggle lines...
-c T1 Q M T0 Q so0
-c T2 Q M T[z0] T[z1] Q so0
-c T3 Q M T[z0] T[z1] T[z2] Q so0
-c T4 Q M T[z0] T[z1] T[z2] T[z3] Q so0
-c T5 Q M T[z0] T[z1] T[z2] T[z3] T[z4] Q so0
-c T6 Q M T[z0] T[z1] T[z2] T[z3] T[z4] T[z5] Q so0
But I am not well versed so I'm sure there are better ways, maybe even
a way to have other rules work on a word from a previous rule..? Each
of the rules above, expands into MANYmore, these are the "short hand"
versions of the rules if you will.
-rich