Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 15:41:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Compile ERROR 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .flock under AIX-64 bit

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 03:23:28AM -0700, Micho Dumanov wrote:
> The option: -lbsd
> in the
> Makefile
> in the line: LDFLAGS = -s -lbsd $(OMPFLAGS)WORK FINE on the AIX-64bit

Great.

> The performance is a litle bit slower 512K c/s

You haven't specified the hash type, as well as how you benchmarked it.
I am guessing that it's DES-based crypt(3) and a --test benchmark, and
that you got a 32-bit build (perhaps because your gcc build is 32-bit).
If so, this is indeed poor performance compared to what you'd obtain on
x86 systems, but that's as expected.

If you're on a machine with multiple logical CPUs and your gcc version
is at least 4.2, you may try enabling OpenMP (uncomment the
"OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp" line in the Makefile, then "make clean generic").

You may also try adding -m64 to OMPFLAGS to see if your gcc is actually
capable of producing 64-bit builds as well.  This does not depend on
OpenMP being enabled (you may combine -fopenmp and -m64, or you may use
them separately) - I am merely suggesting that you may use the same make
variable for a simple way to specify this option.

Alexander