Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:05:44 +0530
From: Sayantan Datta <std2048@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password hashing at scale (for Internet companies
 with millions of users) - YaC 2012 slides

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> A few months ago, when Xeon Phi was first announced under this name,
> Intel supported OpenMP for it, but not OpenCL yet.  An Intel person
> commented on a forum that OpenCL would likely be available later.  So I
> doubt that there's OpenCL for these yet.

I've read somewhere that next generation of Nvidia gpus code named maxwell
will tightly integrate some ARM cores with them. I guess then we could use
the gpus for efficient password generation too.  Also AMD's next generation
of APUs(excavator or later) intends to do the same with x86 instead of
ARM.

Accorinding to the picture(in your slides) the xeon phies seems to be
running on a PCIe bus. But if it can load an OS then does it mean we can
use the phi as the host system and the cpu/gpus as the supporting devices?

Regards,
Sayantan