Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 01:55:55 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: issue with cracking SIP dumps

On 4 Oct, 2012, at 1:37 , magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 Oct, 2012, at 23:10 , buawig <buawig@...il.com> wrote:
>
>>> If you do not mix versions, it will work fine.
>>
>> I used sipdump2john.py that came with the tar.gz (john-1.7.9-jumbo-7), I
>> do not have a copy of the git repo.
>
> I just checked git: Jumbo-7 holds code without Julien's patches while unstable/bleeding trees has them. And I checked that the release tarball is consistent with git's Jumbo-7 branch.
>
> The only reason I can imagine is that Julien's patch was actually a bugfix - and you happened to trigger the bug.

Digging a bit more into this, it appears Jumbo-7 unfortunately may have a serious bug in the SIP format that was not present in Jumbo-6 and that is fixed in git. See last comment here: https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/pull/86#issuecomment-8561660

That was a couple days before release of Jumbo-7 and I missed that it should have been merged to the -fixes branch. Ideally, that push request should have been against -fixes in the first place. Sorry.

Provided this bug is as serious at Julien says, you should really use latest git version instead. You can get a snapshot from here:
https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/tarball/unstable-jumbo

magnum