Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:29:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: jfoug@....net
To: john users <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: WebEdition CMS

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM, NeonFlash wrote:

> I have observed a lot of inconsistencies in loading dynamic hashes in
> general, can't seem to get it working at first attempt generally
> though :D

Not really inconsitancies, it usually (almost always) is simply needing
more knowledge of how to properly build the dynamic input data.

For this format, you want this to build strings like this:

username:$dynamic_11$hex_hash_value$username

Note, the username is force used as a salt value.   I can build you a
format which uses this:

username:$dynamic_11$hex_hash_value

but then you would have to do 2 MD5's per each candidate test (almost
identical to Dhiru's original version). There is not the optimication of
precomputing the base16 of the username, like there is of the salt.

So like I mentioned, since you are almost certainly having to fabricate
an input file anyway, I would recommend the first format listed in this
email, where the username is also appeded to the hex hash value using
the salt synax ($username in this case).

Jim.