Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:04:11 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Help for JTR

On 09/12/2012 03:15 AM, Jonathan Xiao wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I need some help or advise for JTR. Trying to use JTR to decode a WIN XP
> login password however JTR can't guess any of the hashes after it completes.
>
> The steps I did:
> 1) Dump out the hashes into hashes.txt
> 2) john.exe --format=lm hashes.txt (no passwords found in here)
> 3) john.exe --crack-status --incremental hashes.txt (still running)

Before you try Helmut's suggestion and just use another tool, let's
first try to find out what might have gone wrong, if indeed something
did go wrong.

What does "(no passwords found in here)" mean?
Did john report that no hashes were loaded?
This could either mean that john didn't recognize those hashes as LM
hashes, or that all hashes found in hashes.txt had already been cracked
before.
What was the exact output when you started the first command?

Your second command (without specifying --format) did apparently load at
least one hash, otherwise it wouldn't continue to run.

What hash format did john recognize in this case?
What other formats were reported to find valid hashes in that file?
(Please post the relevant output of your second command as well.)

May be john recognized a wrong hash format.

Can you post a mangled sample hash, if not the real one?
If you post the real hash, make sure to change the password afterwards.
If you post a mangled hash, make sure you don't change the hash format
beyond recognition. E.g., you might replace the 0-9A-F characters
resembling the hex encoded bytes with other instances of 0-9A-F, but
please don't change the length of the hash...

Frank