Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 02:21:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: NeonFlash <psykosonik_frequenz@...oo.com>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Salted SHA1 Hash

@jfoug: Thanks. I know, I had asked this question a while back. Yes, I am able to cracked the Salted SHA1 hashes like SMF with the method easily.

A tool is not required though. A simple Perl Script does the trick and that's what I write for such purposes. However, I agree, integrating this with JtR should be good.

Converting the salt to hex in JtR is something what I was looking for, thanks for pointing me to that. Due to the special characters in the salt, I was looking for a way to convert the salt in Hex. Salts in Hex look so much cleaner :D

@groszek: Wow! Google is indeed your friend! :D Yes, that is true. You get paid 500 USD and you indeed get paid. So, go for it!

My bad, that I was trying the dynamic_24 hash format for this hash type even though it is a SHA256 salted hash.

SHA1 = 160 bit hash = 40 hex characters
SHA256= 256 bit hash = 64 hex characters.

@Rick Redman (aka minga): Thank you for the Crack Me If You Can contest ;) You can maybe include this hash type for your next contest! :)

Thanks all!