Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 19:24:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trouble getting started - can anyone offer advice? (now solved)

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 04:09:34PM +0100, colin wright wrote:
> I was indeed building "generic" - it seemed a reasonable, safe, and prudent
> move to try bringing the system up slowly using the most generic settings
> first, before then invoking the system specific options.

It is a reasonable approach, but that's not an intended use of JtR's
"generic" make target specifically.  Rather, this target is meant to be
a last resort when no other suitable target exists (or when other
targets fail).  The comment on it says: "Any other Unix-like system with
gcc" - the word "other" is there on purpose.  For example, people have
been using "generic" to build for devices with ARM architecture CPUs -
something we don't have specialized make targets for yet (by the way,
perhaps we should add such make targets).

Alexander