Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 03:36:31 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Traouble getting started - can anyone offer advice?

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:16:43AM -0400, Matt Weir wrote:
> I was just talking with someone the other day and it sounds like they
> had the exact same problem with the Windows binary of JtR version
> 1.7.9-jumbo5. They were testing JtR out with a sha512crypt hash and
> JtR reported no hashes loaded. They then tried the exact same hash in
> a version of JtR included in backtrack, (they didn't say which
> version), and the hash loaded with no problems.

That's a somewhat different problem.

1.7.9-jumbo-5 (as opposed to -jumbo-6) lacks its own sha512crypt
support.  Thus, it only supports these hashes when running on a system
that supports them natively (and Windows does not).  It is the same as
any version of JtR starting with 1.7.6 in this respect.

1.7.9-jumbo-6 supports sha512crypt on any system with OpenSSL 0.9.8 or
newer.  (Note that it may also be built with OpenSSL 0.9.7, in which
case this functionality is excluded.)

Due to work by JimF, some future jumbo version (although perhaps not the
very next one) will support sha512crypt unconditionally, without a
dependency on OpenSSL version.  (We already have this code in git.)

Alexander