Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:17:18 +0200
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Arstechnica Password article (feat. Matt Weir)

On 08/21/12 15:36, Rich Rumble wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/passwords-under-assault/
> Good article, no mention of Jtr :( or it's incremental and other
> modes, rather focus on GPU cracking using HashCat mostly; some other
> tools mentioned as well. Also I had no idea we were actually going to
> be up against the Erebus system (http://ob-security.info/?p=546)in the
> contest, but I guess I should of known :)
> While I wish JtR and all it's abilities (GPU included), the article is
> accurate as far as I can tell.

obligatory xkcd reference on password reuse: http://xkcd.com/792/

btw i'm quite interested by all this articles against password reuse
while at the same time there are a lot of people asking for single sign
on over the web, isn't something contradictory ?

And what about services like "last pass": aren't we just moving our
problems to the "simple one" of the relying entirely our security on one
single master password ? it's kind scary .

Cheers
Samuele