Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 03:37:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Word files?

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 03:00:14AM +0200, Paul van Hoven wrote:
> A small hint: I had to replace mktemp by mkdtemp in office2john.c in
> order to get the file compiled.

What error were you getting when trying to compile the original code?
(I am aware that some systems now print deprecation warnings or even
errors about mktemp(), but I thought Ubuntu was not one of those where
mktemp() was treated as a fatal error.)

> parallels@...ntu:~/Downloads/magnumripper-magnum-jumbo-47a6d4e/run$
> ./office2john /media/psf/Home/Downloads/TestEncrypted.docx
> /media/psf/Home/Downloads/TestEncrypted.docx : office2johntNuMqb: File exists

I think this is a consequence of your source code change above - perhaps
your code, with the change, tries to create the directory twice.

Dhiru - I think it'd be best to write cleaner C code rather than rewrite
this in Python (as you said you were going to), unless you have a
specific reason for that rewrite (e.g., some needed library only easily
available from Python).

Thanks,

Alexander