Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 08:01:20 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Rich's writeup for CMIYC 2012

I was a little more detached from this years contest, but I was
enjoying trying to find patterns and phrases. I learned a few new
rules, and reading over all the rules in the build I learned I know
less than I thought :) I'd like to thank KL for putting on another
difficult and fun contest!
Hardware:
  One Intel Xeon(E5620) w/HT @ 2.40GHz,  (8 threads)
  Three Intel Core 2 Duo E8400  @ 3.00GHz (6 threads)
Software:
  JtR 2012 contest edition
  cat/sort/uniq and a php script
  httrack/wget
I did most of my work on the 5620, running various modes against the
word-lists I had compiled prior to and after the contest started. I
found, I think, a lot of phrases by using the Free-Cddb mp3 cd
database. I spidered and scraped a few vegas website looking for old
and current content like shows, famous sayings, famous people and
acts. That dictionary didn't prove as useful as the CDDB one. I should
of moved into lyrics as well as song/artist/album names. I didn't get
a lot of sleep just as with the previous years, but this time I really
didn't see patterns, and when I tried to crack the 3 ODT challenges
for some reason they never did.
I started off on NT and nsldap, after running out of ideas in the
first 24hrs, I switched to Des. I'm not sure I was able to create any
points that no one else on our team already did.
I didn't see much communication via email so I assume IRC was almost
exclusively used as an "offiical" jtr communique. I didn't spot many
patterns other than what the phrases were showing me. I hope KL
doesn't release the answers, I'd like to have another go at this
contest.
I had fun, I think we did quite well against the others and their GPU
onslaught. I think Team John worked smarter and not harder as they say.
Good show all!
-rich