Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 00:26:23 -0400
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@...dmark.org>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: 1Password blog post about Dhiru's new/forthcoming 1Password module

Just a quick clarification. I will try to write more when I get to a real keyboard.

The Elcomsoft report was discussing 1Password for iOS, which uses a different format than the desktop.  The desktop has used PBKDF2 since 2008. We added PBKDF2 to the iOS app after the Elcomsoft report came out. (Our excuse for not doing it sooner is that we still support devices running iOS 3, which doesn't offer PBKDF2 in the Apple SDK. So after Elcomsoft report we ripped an implementation from OpenSSL to get this to work on older iPhones.)

I'll have to dig into various changes to see when the derived AES key is 128 or 256 bits. The answer may lie with when the agilekeychain was created (or had a password change).

Some of the finer details of our format aren't document for reasons other than my laziness. It's because we have made small changes over the years.

Cheers,

-j

Sent from my iPad