Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:46:20 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: JtR to process the LinkedIn hash dump

>From: Solar Designer [mailto:solar@...nwall.com]
>
>Thanks, Jim!

No problem.  Still not the most stable format in the world, due to not quite
fitting in with proper core john expectations, but all in all, works pretty
good.

>FWIW, here's a blog post by Francois Pesce who has experimented with
>John the Ripper and JimF's "LinkedIn patch", successfully cracking 2
>million passwords:

After 1 day, on single CPU only (win32 build), I had 3.3 million completed.
I have moved on to other things at this time.  Most of my testing was with
some custom rules against some of my big wordlists.  I then used some of the
word-jamming methods I have been using against that 140 million dump, and
they worked very well here also.  So these things do crack pretty easily.
Most of it is presenting quality words as quickly as possible to JtR.  I am
chunking along at 6 million tests per second, and feel I have found quite a
few, for the amount of words tested.