Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 00:21:36 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: pot file size limit

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 09:24:38PM -0400, Brad Tilley wrote:
> Perhaps it's just me, but the biggest draw-back to using a large pot file
> seems to be the load time. Once the pot is greater than 1 gibi, the
> slowdown really feels substantial. However, this may just be my perception
> of time. In wall clock time, it takes just about 10 seconds to crack
> hundreds of thousands of raw-md5 hashes, but about 2.5 minutes for John to
> start-up with such a large pot.

Understood.  Startup time mostly matters if you frequently interrupt and
restart John or run it with small wordlists, etc. - but this is in fact
reasonable use of it in some cases.  So this is a valid concern.

You could want to try increasing PASSWORD_HASH_SIZE_FOR_LDR from 4 to 5.
Does this help?

Alexander