Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:10:53 -0600
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Using Twitter to build password cracking wordlist

On 4 June 2012 23:46, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found this via http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/ and felt that it's
> relevant to this list, especially given that the specific example uses
> John the Ripper:
>
> http://7habitsofhighlyeffectivehackers.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/using-twitter-to-build-password.html
>
> In general, I'd like folks to start posting this kind of stuff in here,
> not just to their blogs. ;-)
>
> Alexander

Ooh I had not seen that one.

On a different dictionary hacking thing, I ran into last night... but
is probably well known except to me :).

I found that sites that use only webapps to interact with passwords
will sometimes "encode" all the possible dangerous characters to HTML
code before sending it to the crypt function. So where your dictionary
might have '123456#' the $1$ string is actually  '123456&#35;'

The bulk of them seem to be

with various numbers of 0's added in depending on how UTF the app is feeling :).
--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd