Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 17:37:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Brad Tilley" <brad@...ystems.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RE: Performance Considerations of stdin

> Depends upon the OS.  If it is winblows, then the performance is horrible.
> I get about 30% or so performance for fast hashes, vs a dictionary read
> into
> memory, with rules run on the dictionary.  Windows has a TINY pipe_buffer.
> I have found no way to speed this up (and I have tried).

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your response. I only use Linux and BSD systems,
so I'm not too concerned about Windows.

> However, for many other OS's, may likely be a performance boost by using
> -stdin mode, IF doing some complex work, since you can do much more
> complex
> things a lot more efficiently in a native language (like C, or even perl),
> much faster than john's rules.

Do you think it's safe to say that so long as the word generation program
keeps JTR at 100% CPU utilization that it's fast enough? I'm not sure
whether that's a good metric to go by or not.

<snip>