Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 21:59:33 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: file name expansion for --wordlist= and file name starting with ~

Hi all,

did anybody else of you notice that for --wordlist=filename, even bash
auto-completion for file names starting with ~/ or ~user works, but john
fails to recognize e.g. --wordlist=~/test.txt?

With this command line
$ ./john --wordlist=~/test
afer pressing [tab], bash completes the command line to
$ ./john --wordlist=~/test.txt

But when I try to execute
$ ./john --wordlist=test.txt passwd
I get
fopen: ~fd/test.txt: No such file or directory

The above applies to all --opt=filename options, but I doubt I'll ever
use ~/ for any option except --wordlist.

Frank