Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:31:54 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Test data (Was: .chr files)

On 04/16/2012 10:43 AM, Simon Marechal wrote:
> On 16/04/2012 00:01, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> So may be we might need some tests on real-life passwords.
>> Either a large set of saltless hashes, or even a large list of cracked
>> passwords from various hashes, converted for --format=dummy.
>
> This :
>
> https://www.korelogic.com/InfoSecSouthwest2012_Ripe_Hashes.html

Just the raw-md5 hashes (about 140 millions) are more than enough for
testing.
You could even just use a fraction of 1/16 of these hashes, e.g.,
LC_ALL=C grep "0$" raw-md5.hashes.txt > testdata-0

These should fit into memory on a decent computer, and when you finished
your tests on this sample, you can use the next set of test data to
verify how useful your strategy is on this one.

I changed the subject, because useful test data is not only needed to
generate .chr files and evaluate their quality, but for other cracking
strategies as well.

Frank