Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 16:52:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: statistics -openssl vs john

Hi Deepika,

Your message is difficult to read because of improper quoting - my text
(that you correctly quoted) is intermixed with your new text without any
clear indication on where the quotes start/end.  Please learn to quote
such that this problem is avoided:

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/mail-news-errors.html

Specifically, do not prefix your own newly added text with ">", which
normally indicates quoted text.  Also, please attribute the quoted text
to the original author(s), like I do below (or rather my mail program
does it):

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 05:37:48AM -0700, deepika dutta wrote:
> Well, from what I read on net, in LM Hash the password is used to generate two DES keys and 2 encryptions are done per password with the ciphertexts concatenated. How then you say it is only one encryption??

Oh, that.  Password crackers such as JtR process the LM hash halves
separately, so the reported speeds are for one half.

Alexander