Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:08:49 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: automation equipped working place of hash cracker,
 proposal

On 04/13/2012 04:39 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> It is common to rebuild chr files to improve incremental mode having some
> passwords cracked.

This is common and often very rewarding. What we should not forget
though, is that this will emphasize the errors we made in the first
case. Suppose we crack 30% of the passwords but for some reason we
almost always miss character 'z' (in real life it may be a handful or
more of 8-bit or UTF-8 characters) which (very) theoretically could be
present in 50% of the total. After rebuilding chr-files we are
amplifying this error and will try even fewer (perhaps none) candidates
containing character 'z'. And so on. I just throw this in here, I don't
have any specific suggestion for mitigating this.

magnum