Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 17:49:49 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: automation equipped working place of hash cracker,
 proposal

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 07:43:21AM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> On 03/23/2012 03:19 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> > Since the time I participated in CrackMeIfYouCan the idea to make
> > john-users team to win it is stuck to me.
> [...]
> > What do you think?
>
> I think it's OK that your motivation to contribute to JtR during this
> year's GSoC has been provoked by last year's CrackMeIfYouCan participation.
>
> But for the GSoC project, the focus should be on features which are
> relevant to JtR usage beyond a CrackMeIfYouCan contest.

That is totally right.

> There are enough similarities in requirements for a cracking contest and
> for reaL-life cracking scenarios, e.g.: supporting the need to
> efficiently collect and analyze the results and log files from
> distributed cracking sessions or a team of pen-testers working together,
> to determine the direction of further cracking attempts based on
> previous results, and so on.

In the most general form it seems to be a too big task for summer because it
would include at least 2 projects listed on the ideas page. So to orient onto
the contest but to skip any contest specific parts may be necessary to take
real results during summer (in a form of the win) and to provide a good base
for next development as a general outcome from the project. I do not know.

Though I know that my view of subject at some points differ from others. So I
would like to hear more opinions to understand the right way.

> If, in the end, your contribution during the GSoC helps the John the
> Ripper team win this year's contest, I wouldn't mind ;)

Thanks!

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov