Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:58:15 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: qustion about custom charset

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:15 AM, pierzi <pierzi@...il.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'd like to create custom charset for jtr with upper/lower alha + digits and
> i'm expiriencing some problems with this procedure.
> Whait i've done is:
> 1) deleted current pot file
> 2) generated wordlist with 3 signs and all comibnation for lower-upper-alpha
> 3) generated des hashes for this wordlist
> 4) cracked entire wordlist withj john (all entrys in fresh pot)
> 5) runed john -make-charest=charset.chr
You don't actually need to crack any password to make a new
charset. All JtR needs is the "colon plain_text" of the pot
file, the hash portion doesn't matter when generating a charset.
So if you generate the wordlist and prepend a colon to each
word, jtr will use that wordlist to create the trigrams from.
I am not sure how many words you should use to be more
effective, probably as many as possible as. The closer they
are to real world passwords the better.
This is all you need in your "pot" file.
:g8sc0tt!
:pass1234!@#$
:k33pg01ng
:j0hnpOt.