Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:35:01 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: john compiled for mac os not working

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 06:12:19PM +0100, Sven Koesling wrote:
> I have a problem using john under mac os x (lion, 10.7). For testing I use
> an unshadowed passwd file called pwd from a linux test machine.

It appears that you have SHA-crypt hashes.  John only supports those on
recent Linux and Solaris systems.  doc/README says:

"When running on Linux distributions with glibc 2.7+, John 1.7.6+
additionally supports (and autodetects) SHA-crypt hashes (which are
actually used by recent versions of Fedora and Ubuntu), with optional
OpenMP parallelization (requires GCC 4.2+, needs to be explicitly
enabled at compile-time by uncommenting the proper OMPFLAGS line near
the beginning of the Makefile).

Similarly, when running on recent versions of Solaris, John 1.7.6+
supports and autodetects SHA-crypt and SunMD5 hashes, also with
optional OpenMP parallelization ..."

However, magnum has since implemented support for SHA-crypt in an
OS-independent way.  This functionality is available in his github tree,
which is going to become the next -jumbo release.  You may give it a try:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches#Incremental-patches-for-1.7.9-Jumbo-5

git clone git://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo

Alexander