Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:59:48 +0100
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR OpenCL patch

2012/1/20 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
> Did you actually test on CPUs?  What OpenCL implementation did you use?
Yes I tested it on my i3 2100, about implementation I am not sure how
it works. I wasn't installing any Intel OpenCL specific software, just
AMD drivers.

> My understanding is that Intel's OpenCL implementation is currently only
> capable of using CPU cores, but not yet the GPU component present in
> Sandy Bridge chips.  On the bright side, it does not actually require
> Sandy Bridge, but also supports many older CPUs from Intel.
I do not know much about Intels OpenCL, but code is using CPU:

ukasz@...kstar$./john -test --format=cryptmd5-opencl -gpu=1
OpenCL Platforms: 1
OpenCL Platform: <<<AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing>>> 2
device(s), using device: <<<Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz>>>
Benchmarking: CRYPTMD5-OPENCL [MD5-based CRYPT]... DONE
Raw:    15620 c/s real, 3963 c/s virtual

ukasz@...kstar$./john -test --format=cryptmd5-opencl
OpenCL Platforms: 1
OpenCL Platform: <<<AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing>>> 2
device(s), using device: <<<Cypress>>>
Benchmarking: CRYPTMD5-OPENCL [MD5-based CRYPT]... DONE
Raw:    131657 c/s real, 131657 c/s virtual

ukasz@...kstar$./john -test --format=ssha-opencl
OpenCL Platforms: 1
OpenCL Platform: <<<AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing>>> 2
device(s), using device: <<<Cypress>>>
Max Group Work Size 256 Optimal Group work Size = 64
Benchmarking: Netscape LDAP SSHA OPENCL [salted SHA-1]... DONE
Many salts:     14115K c/s real, 14252K c/s virtual
Only one salt:  10573K c/s real, 10663K c/s virtual

Yes, OpenCL code is still much slower than CUDA. I am going to do
something about this, target on the next month is to beat CUDA. I've
spend some time in December trying to vectorize phpass code (using
vector data types -uint4), but because of some bug I could not finish
it. At the moment there is more literature about OpenCL in the
Internet than half year ago, and making OpenCL code  faster should be
easier.

Lukas