Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 17:27:18 -0600
From: Wesley Tansey <tansey@...utexas.edu>
To: Per Thorsheim <per@...rsheim.net>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Password datasets with creation rules?

Thanks Per.

>In short: even if you do find any leaks of passwords that are clearly from
environments with creation policies in place (length/complexity), you won't
become much wiser without lots of additional info.

Would you mind expanding on that? I'm not quite as interested in gaining
summary statistics as I am in comparing the performance of a model on it.
I've done a pretty exhaustive search at this point though, so I've kind of
lost hope that I'll find one.

The best I found was the MySpace dataset, which I believe required a
non-alphabetic character, but of course that is very noisy data that
requires filtering since it was retrieved via phishing so only 85% of the
terms actually match that rule due to typos, mixups with a different
password for some other site, etc. It's also a little small (35k after
filtering) and the 6-7 letter passwords aren't as interesting from a
cracking standpoint, so that leaves me with only about 7k. That's making it
a very difficult dataset to work with.

>My presentation at Passwords^11 has some statistics based on environments
where I've had almost complete control of the corporate
environments.

Interesting presentation. Do you have a bibtex reference for it?

Wesley