Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:12:57 -0500
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cloud instances and Cisco 7

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Philippe Ouellet <pplouellet@...il.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm having some issues with Cisco type 7 MD5 hashes. When I put a known value against a wordlist containing the clear text of the known value, i get it saying it has been cracked. When I issue the ./john --show= command I get "?:PLAINTEXT" but when I try it via ssh, I still get rejected.
The enable password is weakly encrypted with the type7 encryption, you
have to login first
with a user/pass, then try to enter Enable mode. Also the TTY and LINE
passwords are
often protected using this weak hash.
We can't help you any further than this. There are very easy to follow
reset procedures
that will allow you to gain access to your device if need be.
-rich