Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 03:30:01 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 2ch/4ch-style tripcodes?

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:08:15AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> This is a curious format. It's salt-less, kinda... Would this mean one
> could theoretically procuce rainbow tables for it?

Yes, and it would be quite practical.  I am surprised that this doesn't
appear to have been done yet - at least a Google web search didn't find
it.  (It only found non-rainbow tables presented in plain HTML with lots
of ads.  Maybe those are not even precomputed, but are computed on
request - that's fast enough.  Perhaps it's done primarily to serve ads.)

Alexander