Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 18:52:47 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Linux MIPS

On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 10:36:05AM -0400, Nigel Sollars wrote:
> Ok,  vanilla John builds with -mips3 ,  trying the same with Jumbo set.

I meant "-mips3 -mgp64" (two options at once), not just -mips3.  You
need to check that you start getting "64/64" in --test output for DES.

> I was not sure if this one was 64bit or not,  Ive been trying to get more
> info on the architecture.  Sorry for any confusion there.

MIPS III is 64-bit.

http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Instruction_Set_Architecture#MIPS_III

"MIPS III was introduced 1992 in the R4000. It adds 64-bit registers and
integer instructions and a square root FP instruction."

R4600 is a MIPS III CPU, and I found no mentions of it lacking any part
of the MIPS III architecture.

http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/R4600
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R4600

Apparently, you're already running a 64-bit kernel (but a 32-bit userland?)

Anyway, even with a 2x speed boost at DES from going 64-bit, you'll have
poor performance overall, compared to modern machines.  Your cluster
will perform slower than a single core in a modern CPU does.  But you're
doing this just for fun, right?

Alexander