Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 07:23:03 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: how to print our the number of guesses john the ripper makes to crack a password

From: "Frank Dittrich" <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
> Am 13.10.2011 18:14, schrieb magnum
>> BTW, another thing I've been contemplating for lab studies is a command
>> line option for pegging keys_per_crypt to 1 regardless of what the
>> format says.
>
> What about adjusting the dummy format (or copying dummy to dummy1 and
> adjusting that one)?

A change such as this, would (should) have little impact on any format.  It is probably very easy to do, by simply making a change in john.c in the initoneformat so that if we are running in this mode, that this function would simply set min and max candidates to 1 for all initialized formats.  I believe this is all that is needed.  From that point on, all of the core john functions will only pass off a single candidate at a time to be tested by each format.  Slower (much slower for some formats), but for certain things, people want behavior like this.  Not every task with JtR is a balls to the wall all out speed race to find a cracked password.

However, as Magnum has mentioned, it would also need to be fully tested (the test suite rocks for this), to make sure that there are no bad side effects in the formats.  I believe that some formats have min=max or min != 1.  I do not think this will cause any problems, dropping them back down to 1 only, but it is still to be seen.

Jim.