Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:41:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion password hashes (salted SHA-512)

Hi,

There's a lot of talk regarding these lately:

http://davegrohl.org
http://www.frameloss.org/2011/09/05/cracking-macos-lion-passwords/
http://www.defenceindepth.net/2011/09/cracking-os-x-lion-passwords.html
http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/kjrut/cracking_os_x_lion_passwords/

Clearly, John the Ripper will support them very soon.  The reason I am
posting in here is to ask for opinions on what we should use as the
canonical representation for these hashes and what other representations
(if any) we should support in input files.  Any suggestions?

Perhaps just 136 hex digits, leaving the decoding of base64 and binary
plist files for external tools?  And add, say, the $LION$ prefix to
store them non-ambiguously?

Thanks,

Alexander