Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 15:57:13 +0200
From: groszek <necro@...icon.pl>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John 1.7.8 fails to compile under freebsd x86-64

On 08/26/2011 03:26 PM, JimF wrote:
> The usage of the #include <stdint.h> / #include <stdbool.h>  in
> 'portable' C code, has been talked about a little over on the john-dev
> forum.  Generally, it does not make for easily portable code.  It will
> likely be something addressed this fall, after the GSOC work has been
> completed.
>
> As for the makefile rules, gmake and solaris make were the only 2 I had
> to work with. I would like to 'find' a universally correct 'generic
> make' way to do it, but so far have not found it.  Magnum was the one
> who found the original sh/ls steps needed for gmake, then I found out
> how to do it for both gmake/solaris in the same makefile using 2 steps.
> We either need to find ways to add in new make languages, or find a
> universal method that works.
>
> Jim.

Maybe dropping make in favor of custom build script e.g. in perl (which
is pretty much in every system and distribution - it should even work
with miniperl) with only very basic Makefile capable of building generic
version on more exotic platforms. Or at least the complicated part done
there instead of makefile itself.

Or even proper buildsystem completly different from make, like waf. But
this adds more dependencies so it's probably not a good idea.