Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:37:06 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John with Radeon graphical card supports?

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:06:03AM -0500, Richard Miles wrote:
> You guys really do a great job, congratulations. I see this as very
> promising area, at the moment the graphical cards are still a bit
> expensive to me. Maybe during next months they get cheaper and also
> the support get all algorithms that we have today for normal john, for
> sure this will be a great point on the history of John The Ripper.

This is unrealistic.  First, John the Ripper with -jumbo supports so
many hash and cipher types that reimplementing them e.g. in OpenCL
would be a lot of work.  So there would need to be specific demand for
each individual hash/cipher type in order for it to be reimplemented.
Second, a few of them are not even implementable on GPUs efficiently.

> If you allow me I want to do 2 suggestions for you consider on this development:
>
> - If doesn't exist, add support for multiple cards on the same computer,

This is definitely being considered.

> for example, someone with 2 graphical cards could have an
> enormous benefits instead of just one.

Not enormous, but at most a 2x speedup, which would translate into maybe
a few percent of extra passwords cracked.

I am not saying we shouldn't support multiple GPUs - we definitely
should.  I am merely saying that you're over-estimating the effect.
A mere 2x speedup (or even slightly less) does not give "enormous
benefits" in terms of actual cracking results.

> - Consider add support for WPA/WPA2 handshake.

Yes, this is also being considered.  Specifically, we will likely have
PBKDF2 with SHA-1 implemented on GPUs, which will be used for MSCash2
hashes as well as for WPA/WPA2.

Thanks for voting for these features.

Alexander