Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:20:50 +0200
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSHA Format Hashes for JTR

On 08/16/11 13:26, firstname lastname wrote:
> I would like to know, how to format a given hash into a suitable form which can be understood by JTR to crack SSHA1 hash type?
>
> The format which JTR accepts for Netscape LDAP hashes is:
>
> {SSHA}hash
>
> the hash here seems to be base64 encoded.
>
> The perl scripts included in the JTR package can be used to extract the passwords from LDAP. But I am interested in learning how to convert a hash into this format.
>
> Where can I find more details about how exactly this algorithm is used to hash a given plaintext?

this script should help you understand how ssha works

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
import hashlib
import base64
import os

def makeSecret(password):
    salt = os.urandom(4)
    h = hashlib.sha1(password)
    h.update(salt)
    return base64.encodestring(h.digest() + salt)

def checkPassword(challenge_password, password):
    challenge_bytes = decode(challenge_password[6:])
    digest = challenge_bytes[:20]
    salt = challenge_bytes[20:]
    hr = hashlib.sha1(password)
    hr.update(salt)
    return digest == hr.digest()

fp = file(sys.argv[1],'r')
fw = file(sys.argv[2],'w')
for line in fp.readlines():
        mypwd = makeSecret(line.strip('\n'))
        print "{SSHA}%s:%s"%(mypwd.strip(),line.strip('\n'))
fp.close()
fw.close()

regards
Samuele