Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 07:39:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: firstname lastname <psykosonik_frequenz@...oo.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JTR MPI in Virtual Machine - Stats Prob

At first, why does my name display here as "firstname, lastname"? It's configured correctly in my mail as Neon Flash. Anyway, this is off topic, but would be glad if someone could answer this.

Ok, the solution was simple. I just had to configure the number of processor cores in the VMWare Workstation for my Ubuntu VM Image.

By default it was set to 1 processor, 1 core. I changed it to 1 processor, 4 cores.

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor

processor: 0
processor: 1
processor: 2
processor: 3

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l

4

Now, there's a significant increase in the value of real c/s while benchmarking.

mpirun -np 4 ./john --format=DES --test

Many salts: 8935K c/s real, 8940K c/s virtual
Only one salt: 7594K c/s real, 7602K c/s virtual

This is good! :)

Regards,
NeonFlash