Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:35:46 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: error while compiling

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 10:55:31PM +0200, Stefan Hummel wrote:
> >On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 13:32, Stefan Hummel<stefan.hummel87@....de>  wrote:
> >>gcc: libtool:: file or directory not found
> >>gcc: link:: file or directory not found
> >>mpicc: No such file or directory
[...]
> I've libtool and openmpi installed. What package includes "link"?
> I'm using opensuse 11.4

Your questions are more about installing proper "development" packages
on your openSUSE than they're about JtR.  I am not a user of openSUSE,
but a quick Google web search suggests that you need to install
openmpi-devel, not just openmpi, and add /usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin
to your PATH.  It could be something like, as root:

zypper install openmpi-devel

then, as user:

export PATH=/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin:$PATH

and try to compile JtR again.  If it fails to find mpi.h, then add
-I/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include to CFLAGS in the Makefile.

If you're using a 32-bit build of openSUSE, then replace lib64 with lib
in the pathnames above.

Disclaimer: I've never used openSUSE, I merely did your Google web
search homework for you. ;-)

As an alternative to MPI, you may use OpenMP.  Then you don't need to
install anything extra, beyond having plain gcc and "development"
libraries for glibc and OpenSSL installed.  Simply uncomment the line
"OMPFLAGS = -fopenmp" in the Makefile.  The main drawback is that OpenMP
is only supported for a subset of the hash and cipher types, so it may
or may not work for the type(s) that you're interested in.

Alexander