Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 12:14:16 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: I posted that, but may be missing due contest

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 08:11:32AM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
>  I have tested JTR 1.7.8 j5c4, all works fine. Hashes up to 15
> characters are found (with symbols/letters (lower-upper)/digits/accent).

Great.

> [Incremental:Alphafr]
> File = $JOHN/alphafr.chr
> MinLen = 0
> MaxLen = 15
> CharCount = 62
>
>  Is charcount = 62  right or should be 114 ?

Should be 114 for your .chr file (or you may simply omit CharCount)
unless you actually want to restrict it to just 62 most common character
indices.

>  thanks for your support.

Please note that this version of JtR you're trying out now is considered
totally unsupported.  It was only meant to be supported for members of
team john-users during the two days of the contest.  Now it is a
historical and abandoned version, with some known bugs that I do not
intend to fix.  Some of the changes introduced in it will likely
re-appear in released and supported versions of JtR a bit later.

While you're free to use this version outside of the contest, please do
not continue to post to john-users about it.  We have posted enough info
on it for others to know what to expect in future versions of JtR, but
further discussions of you using this unreleased and unsupported code do
not belong here.

Thanks,

Alexander