Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 06:06:45 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: JtR CUDA patch

Hi all!

I've prepared patch adding nVidia GPU's support for the following formats:
phpass, cryptmd5, cryptsha256, cryptsha512

Performance is rather poor, here's a few benchmarks on my GTX460:

phpass      292k c/s
cryptmd5    391k c/s
cryptsha256 7800 c/s
cryptsha512 5600 c/s

For now it doesn't utilize multigpu's, but it will be added in near future.
To get best performance hand made tweaks are needed:

For Fermi's change -arch=sm_10 to -arch=sm_20 in Makefile
Each CUDA format needs specific THREADS and BLOCKS constants defined
in *.h files.
There have got huge impact on performance so you should experiment
with them, here's important heuristics:
-BLOCKS should be multiple of device SM (Streaming Multiprocesors)
-THREADS should be multiple of 32 (usualy more than 128 is needed, up
to 512 on Fermi's).
Please remember to rebuild after changes.

Patch is uploaded to wiki (http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches) as
john-1.7.8-allcuda-0.diff
GPU patches have got page on wiki too: (http://openwall.info/wiki/john/GPU)

If you having any problems with this patch feel free to contact me.
Any kind of feedback is welcomed.

Lukas