Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 20:54:35 +0000 (UTC)
From: Donovan <contact.newangels@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: AVX build for Mac OS X (was: Sha-256)

Solar Designer <solar@...> writes:

> It sounds like your CPU is recent enough that it may be AVX-capable.
> Try adding -mavx to CFLAGS in the macosx-x86-64 target in Makefile.
> Does it work?  Does it improve the speed?  (Should be a 20% speedup.)
>
> Also, consider joining the john-users mailing list for real rather than
> posting via Gmane.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander

Hi Alexander,

Thanks a lot for your adivices, really appreciated !

( i allready compiled the Jumbo-5, i make 2 version with MPI actived on both, 1
: macosx-X86-64 & 1 macosx-x86-sse2 ( for the speef of the MD5 ), MPI working on
both ' mpirun -np 4 ./john..." )

NOTE : I don't take the risk to compiled on LION, cause to young OS & unstable
for now...so i prefer make the stuff in Snow Leopard 1.6.8

I can re_compiled an news one's for sure.

Ok, i take an look on the MaKefile & see :

macosx-x86-64:
	$(LN) x86-64.h arch.h
	@echo "#define JOHN_BLD" '"'$@'"' > john_build_rule.h
	$(MAKE) $(PROJ) \
		JOHN_OBJS="$(JOHN_OBJS) x86-64.o sse-intrinsics.o" \
		ASFLAGS="$(ASFLAGS) -m64 -DUNDERSCORES -DBSD -DALIGN_LOG" \
		CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -m64" \
		LDFLAGS="$(LDFLAGS) -m64"

May i have to "ADD" or "remove the existed value in = CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS) -m64" \

In the case i remove the existed value & add the one conform to your advices,
that make that : CFLAGS="-mavx" \  = It is correct ?

Concern, the fact to join the for "real" the John-users, it will be an plaisure
for sure, but, i don't understand ( maybe my deffault English speacking
missunderstand the sens, sorry) this is not the John-users-Mailling list ? can
you give then some adivices & the way to take in this case.

Thanks a lot for your help & support,

Regards,

Donovan