Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 10:19:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: brad@...ystems.com
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: invitation to team john-users in KoreLogic's
     "Crack Me If You Can" DEFCON 2011 contest

> Hi,
>
> As many of you are already aware, we're going to participate in the
> "Crack Me If You Can" contest organized by KoreLogic at DEFCON 2011:
>
> http://contest.korelogic.com
>
> We participated last year as well.  Besides competition between the
> teams, in a sense there was also competition of Open Source vs.
> proprietary tools.  This year's contest may be similar.  In team
> john-users, we're going to focus on use of Open Source tools.
>
> We're going to have our own contest server, which our team's members
> will use to exchange files and to upload cracked passwords for automatic
> submission to contest organizers.  We're also going to have a private
> mailing list to coordinate our team's activities in the contest.
> (We used these same mechanisms last year.)  We may use other
> communication channels as well - e.g., IRC.  And we'll be using
> cutting-edge John the Ripper code.
>
> Being on team john-users is an excellent way to get more involved in our
> community, as well as to learn new tricks and tools - although we expect
> that every team member readily possesses at least basic John the Ripper
> usage skills and experience.
>
> If you'd like to join team john-users, please e-mail me off-list.  If
> you have any questions or comments on this invitation, please post them
> to the john-users mailing list (join the list first if you're not on it
> already).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alexander

---

Alexander,

I hope your team wins this year. You guys did great last year. I know you
have the talent and experience to do it! I'll be experimenting again with
16Crack and CV patterns, but don't plan to be a top contender. I just
enjoy participating. It's fun.

Brad