Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:49:14 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John Test Suite v1.03 released

I just found out that for certain LANG environmental variable settings,
the test suite will show bad results (lots of 1497 on validation). This
is due to things like sort|uniq acting weird.

Putting LANG= before ./tstall will fix this. I enclose a patch for
Makefile that lets you run the test suite using "make test" from john
src directory, provided the test suite is installed in ../test relative
to that (i.e. test is a sibling to src). It includes this LANG= fix.

magnum

On 2011-07-13 23:14, jfoug wrote:
> A new version of John Test Suite (v1.03) has been released. This version is
> much more comprehensive than prior versions.  The dictionary files the
> hashes were created with contains many garbage entries, binary data, very
> long lines, etc, etc.  These have turned up numerous issues in some existing
> formats.  Also the -utf8 support is now tested in a more robust manner.
>

> The test suite is found on the wiki. Right now, it can be found at the
> bottom of this page:
>

> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches
>

> I am also working on a wiki page, specifically for the test suite.  That is
> still a work in progress.  It is as
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/test-suite
>

> This version the test suite, is released as a single tarball.  There is no
> update.  All of the input files are 'new' and thus an update does not make
> sense.
>

> To install and use the test suite:
>

> 1.       Download the tarball  (it's pretty big, 5.3mb compressed)
>
> 2.       Untar into a new directory.
>
> 3.       Edit the ./tstall script file, and change one of the first few
> lines, to tell the script where john exists:  That line is the JOHN_PATH=
> line.
>
> 4.       A few systems may need the JOHN_EXE= line changed (some windows
> builds may need john.exe listed).
>

> Now, simply run ./tstall script.  It will perform a check of john, and auto
> detect if this is a 'jumbo' build, or if this is the 'core' build (core is
> 1.7.8 vs jumbo of 1.7.8-jumbo-2, etc).  The script will run the appropriate
> tests, depending upon if the john is a 'core' or a 'jumbo' build.
>

> The tests are now 'double' run (a test, and a validation). The first test
> uses one of the 2 provided wordlist files.  The second test, will then cut
> the found words from the john.pot (tst.pot) file, and create a new temporary
> dictionary file with them.  The script then reruns john using this temporary
> dictionary file.  This validates that the data written into john.pot file is
> valid. This secondary validation did turn up some issues, especially with a
> few-utf8 formats.
>

> Also released is the set of dictionaries, the set of script files, perl
> script (pass_gen.pl), some helper .C files, etc, which were used to generate
> the John_test_Suite input hash files.  Thus, these hash files can be
> re-constructed, and should show anyone that is interested, just what was
> done to produce the test suite input files.  This 'creation' project is also
> located on the same 'patches' wiki page where the 1.03 test suite is found:
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/patches
>

> There will be a patch to john being released shortly that corrects several
> issues found during the making of this test suite update.
>

> Jim.

View attachment "maketest.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (588 bytes)