Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:01:12 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Parallel cracking

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 04:08:21PM +0300, kalgecin wrote:
>> I was thinking on how to use several jtr instances on my computers and I
>> thought that if jtr could be split in to two parts.
>
> Sure.  This has been on to-do since 1990s.  Your vote has been counted.
>
> For now, there's the MPI support in recent -jumbo.
Along these same lines, I finally tried Markov last night, not sure I was doing
it right, but nonetheless I read up on it quite a bit. I like how passwords can
go beyond the 8 char limit JtR has by default (I know I can extend, recompile
but I haven't tried it in a while on cygwin, and it was failing when I
did last for
all chr I think...) I'm not as confident in Markov's algorithm as I am the
incremental mode. Would it be possible to "divide" the incremental progress
points in a similar fashion that markov does? I don't understand the .rec format
very well, but it seems to me that JtR keeps track of where it was in the
session every so often so you can pick up where you left off... Perhaps the
MPI is doing this already. However I'm not sure if MPI works on cygwin/
mingw builds. In essence, have 2 or more cpu's run a "restore" that begins
a "few hours" ahead of the previous progress point.... if that makes sense?
<log file>
0:08:00:00 - Switching to length 8
0:08:00:00 - Expanding tables for length 8 to character count 26
0:08:00:00 - Trying length 8, fixed @1, character count 26

Have the next thread start at

0:12:00:00 - Switching to length 8
0:12:00:00 - Expanding tables for length 8 to character count 28
0:12:00:00 - Trying length 8, fixed @5, character count 28
and so on...
-rich