Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:58:45 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Issues with gen_md5 new linking method

It is good to hear that the PHPS is properly working for your items.

Yes, the change is not prime time ready. I figured it was 'likely' to cause
problems for 'complex' salts, and I have not tested fully.

What I may look at in the future, is a flag 'MGF_COMPLEX_SALT'.  This flag
will be set any time that USER, SALT2, or and Field is used.  It will not
need to be set, the other salt flags will set it automatically.  Then, if
that is set, the 'extra' logic that looks for $$2/$$U/etc will be performed.
If that is not set (meaning the format does not have any extra salt stuff),
then the salt will simply be used as is.  This is more of a proper fix, than
what I have done so far.

Jim.