Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 00:25:54 +0200
From: Jean-Michel <jtr@...izoku.org>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Issues with gen_md5 new linking method

Hello,

with the version 1.7.7 and the new jumbo patches, the method to link a
format to a gen_md5() one has changed.
For example, the old PHPS format now links to gen_md5(6) as a "thin" format.
But with that, I can't load my database anymore because the salt used in
this format as to be in "raw" format instead of base16.
I have entries were the salt begins with "$" for example (or contains
specials chars such as "\r"), and that totally messes the md5_gen parser.

Is it already on the TODO-list to add a flag to allow the salt to be
hex-encoded ?
I haven't seen a simple way to do so just by modifing the thin module...

Thanks.