Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 19:05:44 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR 1.7.7-jumbo-5

W.A., magnum -

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 04:48:40PM +0200, websiteaccess@...il.com wrote:
> about "john-1.7.7-jumbo-1-fullmpi-10.diff.gz" +
> "john-1.7.7-jumbo-5.diff.gz" with john-1.7.7
>
>  when patch "john-1.7.7-jumbo-1-fullmpi-10.diff.gz" is applied after
> john-1.7.7-jumbo-5.diff.gz  I get errors

Indeed.  You shouldn't be doing that.  MPI support has been integrated
into -jumbo-5, so you don't need any other patch to get MPI working.

This was mentioned in my original announcement, although I admit that I
did not include any instructions on how to enable the integrated MPI
support (nor on how to use any other of the new features of -jumbo-5).

There's doc/README.mpi in 1.7.7-jumbo-5, though.

So, to enable MPI support in 1.7.7-jumbo-5, edit the Makefile.  You need
to uncomment two lines as the comment says:

## Uncomment the TWO lines below for MPI (can be used together with OMP as well)
## If you experience problems with MPI_Barrier, remove -DJOHN_MPI_BARRIER
## If you experience problems with MPI_Abort, remove -DJOHN_MPI_ABORT
#CC = mpicc -DHAVE_MPI -DJOHN_MPI_BARRIER -DJOHN_MPI_ABORT
#MPIOBJ = john-mpi.o

magnum - perhaps this should be mentioned on
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/parallelization - can you edit this wiki
page accordingly, please?

Thanks,

Alexander